The BookHouse formerly known as O.G. Waffle) is a locally owned children’s bookstore that provides superior service and high quality books. Our specialty is helping customers such as schools, libraries, and parishes organize their annual book fairs, fulfilling book grant purchases, library stocking and even organizing author visits.
O.G. Waffle Book Company began in Marion, Iowa in 1883. That was just thirty-three years after Iowa became a state. The first owner of the bookstore was Owen Gates Waffle. O.G. Waffle ran the business from 1883 to 1931. Originally OG sold books primarily to libraries and door-to-door. The story has been told that he would pack up his books and ride the train across the state from the depot in downtown Marion.
In 1931, O.G.'s son Norman took over the business. Norman and Lenore Waffle owned and operated the business from the current location from 1931 until they retired in 1985. Norman primarily sold reference books to public libraries and schools. They had two children, Elbert and Elizabeth. When they grew up, they had other careers and did not want to run a book store.
Nancy Jennings bought it and became the owner on September 3, 1985. Under her ownership the bookstore thrived. She focused on children's books and later established a book fair component to the store.
In 2007 Deb Voss and Jenny Koechner bought the business and changed the name to the BookHouse. They continue to carry on the traditions of getting great books in the hands of kids!